Not all problems can be fixed quickly, but some can. Here are seven things from Here’s How that Ireland could do in seven days.
- Change prison food and reduce criminal reoffending rates by a quarter (page 239)
- Require publicans to serve the full pint that customers pay for (page 63)
- Start eliminating toxic waste from batteries, litter from ATM receipts and other pollution by changing incentives to pollute into incentives to recycle (page 152)
- Speed up the broadband roll-out by penalising rather than rewarding Eircom for failure (page 99)
- Use social pressure to encourage people to sort their recyclables correctly (page 155)
- Make switching bank accounts easy by getting a new financial regulator to implement the proposals to encourage competition (page 64)
- Stop the drain of €500m per year from the taxpayers' pockets caused by cigarette smuggling (page 220)